Friday, July 11, 2008

Broadway : The American Musical (Box set)


The PBS documentary Broadway : The American Musical, gives a chronological glimpse of Broadway, from the early days into the new century. It's available on DVD, book, a 5-cd box set and also a highlights collection (which I've previously posted here).

Most of the legendary songs from legendary shows are featured here, spanning from 1920 - 2003. Featuring works by legendary Broadway composers Gershwin brothers, Jerome Kern, Oscar Hammerstein II, Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart, EY Harburg, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Leonard Bernstein, Harold Arlen, Frank Loesser, Jule Styne, Kurt Weill, Lerner &Loewe, Stephen Sondheim, Anthony Newley, Leslie Bricusse, Lionel Bart, Cy Coleman, Kander & Ebb, Burt Bacharach, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tim Rice, Stephen Schwartz, Marvin Hamlisch, Charles Strouse, Boublil & Schonberg, Henry Mancini, Jonathan Larson, Elton John, Mel Brooks, ABBA, Billy Joel, Peter Allen & others.

Legendary performances by many of Broadway's leading men and ladies include performances by Joeh Grey, Fanny Brice, Fred Astaire, Gertrude Lawrence, Helen Morgan, Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby, Ethel Merman, Mary Martin, Alfred Drake, Ella Logan, Ray Bolger, Ezio Pinza, Carol Channing, Gwen Verdon, Julie Andrews, Judy Holliday, Robert Preston, Pat Suzuki, Dick Van Dyke, Jerry ORbach, Richard Burton, Diahann Carroll, Zero Mostel, Anthony Newley, Barbra Streisand, Lee Remick, Sammy Davis Jr, Angela Lansbury, Elaine Stritch, Yvonne Elliman, Barry Bostwick, Glynis Johns, Stephanie Mills, Chita Rivera, Patti LuPone, Jim Dale, Jennifer Holliday, Raul Julia, Betty Buckley, George Heartn, Bernadette Peters, Mandy Patinkin, Michael Crawford, Jonathan Pryce, Gregory Hines, Glenn Close, Matthew Broderick, Marissa Jaret Winokur, Hugh Jackman, Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel.

Disc 1

1. Give my regards to Broadway (George M)
2. Swanee (Sinbad)
3. When the moon shines on the moonshine (Ziegfeld Follies of 1919)
4. A pretty girl is like a melody (Ziegfeld Follies of 1919)
5. My man (Ziegfeld Follies of 1921)
6. Fascinating rhythm (Lady be good)
7. If you knew Susie (like I know Susie) (Big Boy)
8. Someone to watch over me (Oh, Kay!)
9. Bill (Show Boat)
10. Ol' Man River (Show Boat)
11. Ain't misbehavin' (Hot chocolates)
12. Ten cents a dance (Simple Simon)
13. Body and soul (Three's a crowd)
14. Brother, can you spare a dime (Americana)
15. Night and day (Gay divorce)
16. Heat wave (As thousands cheer)
17. Smoke gets in your eyes (Roberta)
18. You're the top (Anything goes)
19. Summertime (Porgy and Bess)
20. September song (Knickerbocker holiday)
21. My heart belongs to Daddy (Leave it to me)
22. It never entered my mind (Higher and higher)
23. Bewitched, bothered, bewildered (Pal Joey)
24. Oh, how I hate to get up in the morning (This is the army)
25. Oh, what a beautiful mornin' (Oklahoma!)

Disc 2

1. New York, New York (On the town)
2. If I loved you (Caroulsel)
3. Come rain or come shine (St Louis woman)
4. There's no business like show business (Annie get your gun)
5. How are things in Glocca Morra? (Finian's rainbow)
6. One in love with Amy (Where's Charley?)
7. Wunderbar (Kiss me, Kate)
8. Some enchanted evening (South Pacific)
9. Lost in the stars (Lost in the stars)
10. Diamonds are a girl's best friend (Gentlemen prefer blondes)
11. Luck be a lady (Guys and dolls)
12. Getting to know you (The King and I)
13. Who cares? (Of thee I sing)
14. Stranger in paradise (Kismet)
15. Ballad of Mack The Knife (The Threepenny Opera)
16. Hey there (The pajama game)
17. Whatever Lola wants (Damn Yankees)
18. I could have danced all night (My fair lady)
19. Standing on the corner (The most happy fella)
20. The party's over (Bells are ringing)
21. Glitter and be gay (Candide)
22. Tonight (West Side story)

Disc 3

1. Seventy-six trombones (The music man)
2. I enjoy being a girl (Flower drum song)
3. Everything's coming up roses (Gypsy!)
4. My favorite things (The sound of music)
5. Put on a happy face (Bye, bye Birdie)
6. Try to remember (The Fantastsicks)
7. Camelot (Camelot)
8. Love makes the world go 'round (Carnival)
9. I believe in you (How to succeed in business without really trying)
10. The sweetest sounds (No strings)
11. Comedy tonight (A funny thing happened on the way to the forum)
12. What kind of fool am I? (Stop the world - I want to get off)
13. As long as he needs me (Oliver!)
14. Hello, Dolly! (Hello, Dolly!)
15. People (Funny girl)
16. Anyone can whistle (Anyone can whistle)
17. If I were a rich man (Fiddler on the roof)
18. Night song (Golden boy)
19. The impossible dream (Man of La Mancha)
20. If my friends could see me now (Sweet Charity)
21. Open a new window (Mame)

Disc 4

1. Willkommen (Cabaret)
2. Let the sunshine in (Hair)
3. I'll never fall in love again (Promises, promises)
4. The ladies who lunch (Company)
5. Tea for two (No, no Nanette)
6. I'm still here (Follies)
7. I don't know how to love him (Jesus Christ Superstar)
8. We go together (Grease)
9. Corner of the sky (Pippin)
10. Send in the clowns (A little night music)
11. Ease on down the road (The Wiz)
12. One (A chorus line)
13. All that jazz (Chicago)
14. Tomorrow (Annie)
15. Don't cry for me Argentina (Evita)
16. Come follow the band (Barnum)
17. Lullaby of Broadway (42nd Street)
18. And I'm telling you I'm not going (Dreamgirls)
19. The bells of St Sebastian (Nine)

Disc 5

1. Memory (Cats)
2. I am what I am (La cage aux folles)
3. Move on (Sunday in the park with George)
4. Do you hear the people sing? (Les Miserables)
5. The music of the night (The phantom of the opera)
6. You're nothing without me (City of angels)
7. The American dream (Miss Saigon)
8. Doctor Jazz (Jelly's last jam)
9. With one look (Sunset Boulevard)
10. On Broadway (Smokey Joe's Cafe)
11. Le jazz hot (Victor/Victoria)
12. Seasons of love (Rent)
13. Hakuna matata (The Lion King)
14. I wanna be a producer (The producers)
15. Dancing queen (Mamma mia!)
16. Good morning Baltimore (Hairspray)
17. Movin' out (Movin' out)
18. I go to Rio (Boy from Oz)
19. Defying gravity (Wicked)

Download - Broadway : The American Musical Disc 1
Download - Broadway : The American Musical Disc 2
Download - Broadway : The American Musical Disc 3
Download - Broadway : The American Musical Disc 4
Download - Broadway : The American Musical Disc 5

Buy at Amazon

No comments: